YellowPagesGoesGreen.org – Unsubscribe from Yellow Pages Books
Ok, so, I pride myself on NEVER having re-blogged anything from Daily Candy. Ever. That would just be too obvious and not original in the least. Except for this feature for YellowPagesgoesGreen.org to sign up and stop the delivery of unsolicited telephone books. This one totally needs to be passed on (I know that not EVERYONE is subscribed to Daily Candy?!?!?). For one, I systematically put every new phone book in the recycling bin as soon as it arrives. I can’t even remember the last time I actually consulted a yellow or white pages directory. There is just no need for it anymore with our easy access to this same (more complete?) information via our laptops or our mobile devices.
YellowPagesGoesGreen.org is only a movement right now, which hopes to push legislation to stop telephone book deliveries in the same way the the No-Call Registry aimed to curtail unsolicited calls.
The cost to consumers as the telcos produce 500 million books A YEAR:
- 19 million trees need to be harvested
- 1.6 billion pounds of paper are wasted
- 7.2 million barrels of oil are misspent in their processing (not including the wasted gas used for their delivery to your doorstep)
- 268,000 cubic yards of landfill are taken up
- 3.2 billion kilowatt hours of electricity are squandered
Find some more stats will make you wince on this page.
It then seems that there is NO logic in not signing up. Please go ahead and join the movement. You can do so right here: YellowPagesGoesGreen.org.
I feel better now.